Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide

//Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide
Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide2018-11-06T09:54:09-04:00

Home Forums Training and Education Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide

• Author
    Keymaster

Mutual Aid Disaster Relief was founded to amplify and support community’s abilities to meet their own needs during and after disasters through a d.i.y. ethic rooted in solidarity. To get a pulse on community aspirations and challenges, to build deeper relationships with the ever-growing network, and to share insights and lessons learned from past iterations of grassroots d.i.y. humanitarian aid projects, we engaged in a 30 city training tour in Spring 2018.

On our tour, we divided our visit into two events. The first was an evening of storytelling, accompanied by Beehive Collective graphics, to illustrate 500+ years of colonization on this continent, a central disaster in which all environmental and industrial calamities are rooted, with historic and contemporary examples of disaster capitalism and mutual aid.

The second event was an interactive, popular education-style workshop that challenged community members to join us in difficult conversations while also inviting participation and welcoming all experience levels through fun games and fast-paced exercises.
    This guide breaks down the flow of the interactive portion. It is important to note that this is a living document. What you are reading now is a rough draft, and it is only one version of how this could be done. The current tour team is making many changes as they work with different groups and integrate lessons and feedback, and surely you have lots of good ideas too – lets keep developing this curriculum together! We hope that this template for facilitators can spark conversations about mutual aid survival programs unique to your local area; its just getting the conversation started.

Whether future disasters become focal points for the powerful to entrench policies that uphold their privilege and political, social, and economic control or whether they become opportunities to build more empowered and resilient individuals and communities that strengthen our movements for radical social change is up to us and the choices we make.

We are super excited to make this freely available. Please give feedback via our Contact Form, and please share! Let’s turn the tide against disaster capitalism.

With love,
    Mutual Aid Disaster Relief Training Working Group

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • kris
    Keymaster

Thanks for putting the guide up. We played Spectragram, made the Phases of Recovery group list, hopes and fears, and the Disasters & Hazards map during the workshop in Olympia. The facilitation team did a great job, I think everyone there learned a lot and made new bonds. Having our version of musical chairs would be a rude awakening though!

Our Western ideas of ‘wealth’ and ‘value’ are so tied up in possessions and money. Even commodities or futures are largely abstract ideas that can disappear in a moment, washed away with the flood waters — or hold so much sway, as ideas, that they find you rescued by the State while the
    ‘less fortunate’ are left to die.

But so rarely does wealth reflect your quality of life. I’ve seen people in very basic situations, really roughing it, who have the resolve, mindset, and charisma to lift the spirits of themselves & everyone around them. Money can’t buy that. Being there for moments of resistance, to see the power of the people, and hopefully be a part of that community, is what compels me to disaster response.

Again, thanks for sharing, re-reading reminded me of some of the lessons P., L., and S. shared. Solidarity!

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  kris.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.