Reply To: Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide

///Reply To: Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide
Reply To: Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide2018-12-16T19:52:48-04:00

Home Forums Training and Education Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide Reply To: Rough draft of MADR Facilitation Guide

kris
Keymaster

Thanks for putting the guide up. We played Spectragram, made the Phases of Recovery group list, hopes and fears, and the Disasters & Hazards map during the workshop in Olympia. The facilitation team did a great job, I think everyone there learned a lot and made new bonds. Having our version of musical chairs would be a rude awakening though!

Our Western ideas of ‘wealth’ and ‘value’ are so tied up in possessions and money. Even commodities or futures are largely abstract ideas that can disappear in a moment, washed away with the flood waters — or hold so much sway, as ideas, that they find you rescued by the State while the
‘less fortunate’ are left to die.

But so rarely does wealth reflect your quality of life. I’ve seen people in very basic situations, really roughing it, who have the resolve, mindset, and charisma to lift the spirits of themselves & everyone around them. Money can’t buy that. Being there for moments of resistance, to see the power of the people, and hopefully be a part of that community, is what compels me to disaster response.

Again, thanks for sharing, re-reading reminded me of some of the lessons P., L., and S. shared. Solidarity!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  kris.