Reply To: Discussion & Analysis of other Disaster Response Organizations

///Reply To: Discussion & Analysis of other Disaster Response Organizations
Reply To: Discussion & Analysis of other Disaster Response Organizations2018-11-26T00:33:26-04:00

Home Forums Training and Education Discussion & Analysis of other Disaster Response Organizations Reply To: Discussion & Analysis of other Disaster Response Organizations

kris
Keymaster

Hello all. After that call, I’m fukken fired up.

What I want to drive home with this thread is that there’s a lot of potential here. A lot.

People are hungry for something more, something to lift them out of this national — global — funk we’re in. Some way to fight back against corporations, the alt right, the administration (or regime if you want), and against our own alienation and apathy.

Mutual Aid is more effective and honorable propaganda of the deed than any bombing, protest, or agitprop. It is real & concrete; flesh and blood.

States cannot handle climate chaos, or the flood of refugees. Their knee jerk reaction (arguably the knee jerk reaction of humanity, which makes our work all the more important) is to shoot the problem till it stops moving.

We can present a better alternative. Now is the time.

That said, we cannot afford to ignore the huge body of research and work out there, just because they come from institutions we ideologically disagree with. “Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Nor can we talk some mad fire and brimstone without acting. So to close out this post with just a lil’ more substance, here are some works I’m reading through atm. Would love to have a discussion once I’m finished.

Beyond Cash: Making Money Work in Crisis — Analysis from Mercy Corps contradicting the “savior complex” mentality of traditional NGOs. While they don’t even question the effectiveness or validity of capitalism, they do not back down from the idea of empowering individuals and communities from a local, bottom-up direction.

The Resilient Social Network — Of course you’ve heard of this from the training crew. Now is your chance to read it! Watch as Homeland Security Studies concludes that grassroots, horizontally organized relief work is more effective than lumbering bureaucracy (FEMA will file your comments “under consideration”).

First Year of g0v.tw — Direct reportback from a grassroots collective in Taiwan aimed at integrating public, state, and corporate decision-making processes. Yeah, looking at China’s social credit system, that sounds terrifying to me too, but I’ve heard they actually produced results that worked for everyone. In any case, they are on the front lines of innovative social change — worth checking out in my book.

Not trying to overwhelm anyone with this, just want to keep the ball rolling. Again, this thread is for any experiences with organizations outside the Mutual Aid network. And we’re not expecting academic papers with spotless references — just share your thoughts.

Solidarity!